We have upgraded air filtration in all the meditation halls, and have provided small air purifiers in all dorm rooms and public spaces.
COVID Safety Protocols
For Residential Retreats
- Masking: Optional for all participants, staff, and teachers attending residential retreats. If you choose to mask, any masking type will be allowed. Please bring your own supply of masks.
- Vaccination: All staff, teachers, and practitioners must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, which includes at least one booster. If you have not received at least one COVID-19 booster since your first COVID vaccination, you will need to have a booster before you attend retreat. The first booster must have been received no less than two weeks (14 days) prior to the retreat start date. Any FDA-approved booster is acceptable. If you have had more than one booster, in addition to your first COVID-19 vaccination, you are fine to attend regardless of the timing of the boosters. Proof of vaccination with booster(s) will be required. Individuals will not be admitted to the retreat if not "fully vaccinated."
- Negative COVID test: All practitioners must arrive with proof (picture or actual test) of a same-day negative antigen test that they have taken prior to arrival. Practitioners who do not arrive with a negative test will be given one prior to admittance. Individuals will not be admitted to the retreat if the test result is positive for COVID-19. Spirit Rock will administer a second test to everyone on day four or five for all retreats that are seven nights or longer. Anyone who tests positive at that time will need to exit the retreat.
For Non-residential Programs (in our Community Meditation Center)
- Masking: Optional for all participants, staff, and teachers, attending a non-residential program. If you choose to mask, any masking type will be allowed. Please bring your own supply of masks.
- Vaccination: Not required; vaccination + booster (at least 1) strongly encouraged.
- Negative COVID Test: Not required; same-day COVID testing strongly encouraged.
Effective April 2, 2024
For residential retreats, the following important, new updates to our COVID-19 safety protocols will be implemented:
- Vaccination: We will no longer require proof of COVID vaccination and booster for residential retreats, but still encourage them.
- Masking: It will still remain optional.
- Negative COVID Test: Proof of negative COVID test on opening day will still be required. For retreats 7 nights or longer, all practitioners will be asked to bring a COVID test kit with them as a second test will be conducted mid-retreat. You can order FREE COVID test kits for U.S. households. If you do not bring your own test, we will ask for a $10 donation to help cover the cost. Retreats 6 nights or less will not have a second test.
Additional Safety Protocols
Sanitizing of all high touch areas will be done twice daily and hand sanitizing stations will be placed in convenient locations across campus.
We have additional indoor and outdoor seating options for dining. We’ve added more tents with heaters to our outside dining space and have air filters in the dining hall as well. Typically, our opening night supper is a time for conversation and community connection. However, to minimize aerosolized particles and promote greater safety for all practitioners, retreats will begin with noble silence at the first meal and continue through the end of the retreat. We have extended the buffet time to 45 minutes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We ask that retreatants practice mindfulness while eating and not linger in the dining hall.
Cushions and chairs will be arranged to maintain physical distancing in the meditation hall.
All practitioners, staff, and teachers will receive a personal kit that includes a symptom checklist and thermometer. All are to monitor their symptoms daily and notify a staff member if their symptoms indicate COVID-19.
If a practitioner or teacher becomes sick, they will be asked to remain in their room, and if serious, return home. We will also ask them to take an antigen self-test onsite, and if they test positive for COVID-19, they must exit the retreat.
Caring for the Community
Spirit Rock welcomes people from around the U.S. and the world to participate in our retreats and programs. Our intention is to include as many people as possible. We have chosen to require COVID-19 vaccination + booster for our residential retreats but not our non-residential programs. This is not a decision we have made lightly. It reflects our obligation to keep our workplace and practice spaces as safe as possible.
If you are not vaccinated + boosted, we invite you to participate in our non-residential programs and online retreats to deepen your practice and connect with our community.
If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected]. Thank you for your practice and dedication to Spirit Rock.
Cancellation Policy for Residential Retreats
Standard Cancellation Fees:
- $100 On or before 8 weeks
- $175 4–8 weeks before
- $300 2–4 weeks before
- No refunds as of 2 weeks before
Scholarship Rates (and Retreat Commuter) Cancellation Fees:
- $75 On or before 8 weeks
- $100 4–8 weeks before
- $200 2–4 weeks before
- No refunds as of 2 weeks before
* Fees reduced for serious illness or death in family