Spirit Rock’s campus is set on more than 400 acres in beautiful Marin County, just 19 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge. A position on staff at Spirit Rock is a wonderful opportunity to explore work as practice in a supportive and caring environment. Spirit Rock offers a range of meditation classes, programs, and residential meditation retreats. Spirit Rock has a 96 bed residential retreat center and a staff of approximately 50. We have a wide range of positions requiring a variety of skills.
Spirit Rock Meditation Center is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Spirit Rock policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination against a person who is perceived to have any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.
The Registrar represents Spirit Rock Retreat Operations by providing exceptional customer service to the retreatant before, during and after retreat registration.
The Registrar is responsible for full cycle retreat registration. Key responsibilities include opening up the retreat for registration, obtaining the customer’s retreat registration details, managing occupancy rates, answering customer inquiries, solving customer registration problems, handling registration fees, and processing refunds and scholarships.
This is a full time, exempt, 37.5 hours per week position reporting to the Registration Manager.
ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS MUST DEMONSTRATE:
Strong customer service orientation with a minimum 2+ years of customer service experience.
Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Excellent phone manner.
Strong problem solving skills that demonstrate sensitivity in dealing with a wide variety of people and situations.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Outlook, Word and Excel.
Experience with database programs, preferably Raiser’s Edge.
Excellent attention to detail and data entry accuracy.
Well-organized with the ability to follow through on multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven non-profit environment. Ability to manage competing priorities.
Experience with Spirit Rock’s programs, mission and practices preferred.
• Communicate with retreatants prior to retreat.
• Generate and distribute retreat registration information including posting forms on website.
• Responsible for the timely input of Net Community web pages for online registration.
• Enter and/or monitor residential retreat registrations in Raiser’s Edge.
• Monitor the wait list for retreats that are full to capacity.
• Collect and process payments.
• Generate and distribute retreat confirmation information.
• Manages all aspects of the Work Retreatant process.
• Communicate with retreatants by phone or email regarding initial registration, lotteries, wait lists, cancellations, and special retreat needs.
• Process cancellations for retreats.
• Coordinate scholarship applications for residential retreats.
• Process scholarship requests, assess amount awarded and notify applicant.
• Record scholarship amounts in database.
• Communicate pre and post-retreat information to Spirit Rock departments including Programs, Retreat Managers, Retreat Support, Kitchen, Communications, Housekeeping and Accounting.
• Communicate with Retreat Teachers regarding discretionary slots and pre-requisite exceptions.
• Generate accurate retreat database reports for various departments.
• Train and supervise Registration Department temporary help and volunteers as needed.
• Document retreat registration procedures in user-friendly language.
• Update retreat registration procedure manuals as necessary.
• Ensure that all retreat registration files are accurate and up to date.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor or manager.
For all Spirit Rock positions:
Spirit Rock Meditation Center is a spiritual practice center devoted to the teaching of Insight Meditation in the Buddhist tradition. We strive to create a work environment that reflects the Buddha’s teachings with a special emphasis on seeing our work as an essential aspect of our spiritual practice. As such, we seek employees who have a sincere interest in and commitment to the exploration of bringing the practice of mindfulness to bear on all activities of daily life.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with experience and Spirit Rock pay practices, which are aligned with regional not-for-profit organizations. Excellent benefits package includes medical, dental, and chiropractic /acupuncture insurance; flexible spending account; 403b retirement savings plan; paid time off to attend Spirit Rock retreats; attendance at Spirit Rock classes; paid vacation; paid holidays; and paid sick leave.
To apply, send your resume with a cover letter that briefly describes how your experience/qualifications match the required qualifications for the position. EMAIL TO: email@example.com. Please include your salary history. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. No telephone calls please.
Spirit Rock is an equal opportunity employer and places a high value on workforce diversity.
PART-TIME/ON-CALL RETREAT CENTER COOK
Spirit Rock’s Retreat Center Cook prepares and serves nutritious ovo-lacto vegetarian meals for residential retreats and special events. S/he trains and supervises retreatants performing work meditations in the kitchen, and models behavior that supports mindfulness practice in the retreat environment. This is an on-call position and hours vary from week to week, and is ideal for candidates who work as independent contractors and have a need for supplemental income.
One to three years of professional cooking experience featuring organic whole food ingredients in a high-volume kitchen, preferably in a contemplative work setting. Flexibility in schedule on a daily and weekly basis, and ability to work evenings and weekends. Strong interpersonal communication skills; ability to take direction; ability to function as both team leader and team player. Strong personal and ethical commitment to bringing mindfulness to all activities of daily life; background or interest in Vipassana meditation or other compatible spiritual tradition. Ability to access and read emails, including schedules and kitchen updates from home. Must have reliable transportation - this is a non-residential position. Current food safety certification (California Food Handlers Card).
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Generous hourly wage. Access to SR programs and Dharma talks.
To apply, send resume with cover letter to: RetreatCookJob@spiritrock.org. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. No telephone calls please.
Spirit Rock is an equal opportunity employer and we place a high value on workforce diversity.