by Retreat Cook Max Swanger
This chai recipe is adapted from the Spirit Rock recipe that is served on retreat. It is a favorite yogi breakfast drink, especially on cool, foggy mornings.
2 cinnamon sticks
2 whole star anise
2 tsp. whole cloves
1 tsp. whole black pepper corns
2 Tbl. whole cardamon pods
4 freshly sliced ginger coins
4 cups water
2 cups milk or milk alternative: soy, hemp, rice or almond milk. If you use a milk alternative and it is sweetened, adjust your amount of sweetener at the end.
1/4 cup loose black tea
1/4 cup brown sugar, or sweetener of your choice (feel free to use less)
1) Place the first 6 ingredients and 4 cups of cold water in a pot or sauce pan.
2) Bring to a boil.
3) Reduce to a simmer for 20-40 minutes.
4) Remove from heat and add loose black tea.
5) Let sit for 4-5 minutes. NOTE: IF YOU LEAVE THE TEA IN TOO LONG IT WILL GET BITTER
6) Warm milk or milk alternative in a separate pot
7) Strain water and spices into a bowl.
8) Add milk or milk alternative to strained spice water.
9) Whisk in sweetener and adjust to desired sweetness.
Reprinted with permission from The Taste of Dharma www.thetasteofdharma.com