Roasted Beet and Shell Bean Salad
This recipe is adapted from the Spirit Rock kitchen, as served to yogis on summer retreats.
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients. Select quantities per servings desired, and season to taste!
fresh shell beans (or dry beans soaked over night)
carrot, celery and onion
red wine vinegar
Heat the oven to 200C.
1) Place the whole, un-peeled beets in a baking dish that is just large enough to hold them. Pour enough water to come 1 inch up the sides of the dish.
2) Sprinkle the beets with sea salt, drizzle with olive oil and scatter the thyme branches around the beets. Cover with foil and bake until the beets are soft and easily pierced with a knife. You may need to add a little water to the pan if the water evaporates before the beets are fully cooked.
3) While the beets are cooking, place the beans in a large pot of water with one stick of celery, one whole, peeled onion, and one whole, peeled carrot. Bring the beans to a simmer and allow to cook until they are totally soft. Just before they are fully cooked season with sea salt. When they are done remove them from the heat and allow them to cool in their cooking liquid.
4) When the beets are cooked allow them to cool, then peel them by rubbing the skin off with your fingers. Cut the beets into smallish pieces to complement the size of the beans, and drizzle with olive oil a little red wine vinegar and season to taste.
5)Mix in the minced shallot and allow to macerate (soak) for at least 15 minutes. Just before serving mix in the chopped herbs.
6) To plate this salad, alternate layers of beets and beans, using a slotted spoon to fully drain the beans. Sprinkle any remaining herbs over the top and drizzle with olive oil.