PLEASE BE FRAGRANCE FREE
In an effort to be inclusive and practice compassion, Spirit Rock asks that all participants who attend daylongs, events and retreats to please refrain from wearing scented products.
An increasing number of people have allergies, asthma or other chemical sensitivity to a variety of common chemicals and fragrances. Many have difficulty breathing, suffer from headaches and migraines, or experience flu-like symptoms. These individuals often find themselves faced with the choice to stay in a fragrance rich environment and get sick or leave and be excluded.
We are working to create environments where the most-impacted individuals can still benefit from the teachings and your participation in being fragrance free can help.
HOW TO BE FRAGRANCE FREE
Here’s what you can do:
- Avoid cologne, aftershave and perfume;
- Avoid hairspray, hair gel and other strong-smelling hair products;
- Wear clothes laundered in fragrance-free laundry detergent;
- Avoid laundry softeners;
- Use fragrance-free soap, lotion, shampoo and conditioner;
- Avoid use of essential oils;
- Test each product - many products are mistakenly marked “unscented” or “fragrance free” (but actually contain masking scents that can be very harmful).
For more information about being fragrance free, please read this article by a yogi and see our sister sangha, East Bay Meditation Center, website for excellent resource list of fragrance free products.