Spirit Rock’s campus is set on more than 400 acres in beautiful Marin County, just 19 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge. A position on staff at Spirit Rock is a wonderful opportunity to explore work as practice in a supportive and caring environment. Spirit Rock offers a range of meditation classes, programs, and residential meditation retreats. Spirit Rock has a 96 bed residential retreat center and a staff of approximately 50. We have a wide range of positions requiring a variety of skills.
Spirit Rock Meditation Center is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Spirit Rock policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination against a person who is perceived to have any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.
Resident Retreat and Lower Campus Centers Housekeeper
This position is part of Spirit Rock’s Resident Staff Dharma program. This work/study program allows participants to work and live at Spirit Rock. The goals of the residential program are to grow in spiritual understanding and wisdom, and to learn how to practice living the teachings of the dharma in work and community. To be eligible for this work position, applicants must be accepted into the Spirit Rock Residential Staff Dharma Program. Accommodations (room and board) are provided for the individual resident only.
The work of this position is to provide exceptional housekeeping and hospitality services. Responsibilities include: preparing for and supporting retreat openings and closings, training and overseeing incoming retreatants, work retreatants, volunteers and extra hires in Housekeeping tasks, cleaning Residential Retreat Center facilities, selective laundry, responding to Retreat Housekeeping needs while retreats are in process, light cleaning, stocking and distribution of supplies in the Residential Retreat Center, Teacher Village Housing, Administration and Community Meditation Center Buildings. Housekeepers work closely with Spirit Rock Retreat Support Services Staff and residential retreatants.
For more information and to apply, click here https://spiritrock.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=14
Front Office Coordinator
The Front Office Coordinator is often the first point of contact for Spirit Rock visitors and event attendees. The position is primarily responsible for answering and routing phone calls, emails, letters, faxes and questions from visitors. The FOC also handles a wide range of administrative duties and some event support. For more information and to apply, please go to: https://spiritrock.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=19
The Spirit Rock Facilities Manager has management responsibilities for all Spirit Rock land and facilities and the staff that maintain them. This includes oversight of the maintenance and continuous operation of all building systems including fire/life safety, mechanical, electrical, cabling, lighting and temperature controls systems, light construction, and audio/visual services. Manage staff and third party facilities related service providers. Manages Facilities department budget. For more information and to apply, please go to: https://spiritrock.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=21
FOR ALL SPIRIT ROCK POSITIONS:
Spirit Rock is an equal opportunity employer and we place a high value on workforce diversity.
Spirit Rock Meditation Center is a spiritual practice center devoted to the teaching of Insight Meditation in the Buddhist tradition. We strive to create a work environment that reflects the Buddha’s teachings with a special emphasis on seeing our work as an essential aspect of our spiritual practice. As such, we seek employees who have a sincere interest in and commitment to the exploration of bringing the practice of mindfulness to bear on all activities of daily life.
The following qualities and abilities are expected of all employees at Spirit Rock:
- Ability to work well with people of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- The ability to work collaboratively.
- Flexibility and the ability to compromise.
- Honesty and integrity.
- Active listening skills.
- The ability and willingness to express appreciation to others.
- Openness to constructive feedback.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- The ability to lead, follow, take initiative, or take direction and the judgment to know when each is appropriate.
- The ability to delegate both Responsibility and authority appropriately.
- Efficient time management skills including the ability to prioritize effectively.
- The ability to differentiate between one’s role in achieving Spirit Rock’s goals as defined by one’s specific job description vs. one’s own personal objectives and spiritual growth.
- Physical: Occasionally required to lift, carry, push or pull objects up to 30 pounds. Frequently required to perform moderately difficult manipulative tasks such as typing, writing, etc. Excellent typing and computer skills are required (word processing and data entry). Must be able to sit, walk or stand for extended periods.
- Sensory: Frequently Required to Read and write documents, financial Reports and plans. Must be able to distinguish normal sounds with some background noise, as in answering the phone, interacting with Residents and staff, etc. Must be able to speak clearly and understand and be understood using the English language.
- Cognitive: Frequently required to concentrate in considerable detail with occasional interruption. Must be able to attend to a task/function through to completion. Frequently required to understand and relate to specific ideas, several at a time. Must be able to remember multiple tasks and assignments given to self and others over a period of days and months. Must be able to shift priority and move from one task to another with ease, including the ability to multi-task.
- Equipment: Ability to drive a car. Occasionally required to drive to work functions at other locations or make pick-ups and deliveries. Must maintain a valid driver’s license. Frequently required to use equipment such as copiers, telephone, and fax machines.