Spirit Rock’s campus is set on more than 400 acres in beautiful Marin County, just 19 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge. A position on staff at Spirit Rock is a wonderful opportunity to explore work as practice in a supportive and caring environment. Spirit Rock offers a range of meditation classes, programs, and residential meditation retreats. Spirit Rock has a 96 bed residential retreat center and a staff of approximately 50. We have a wide range of positions requiring a variety of skills.
Spirit Rock Meditation Center is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Spirit Rock policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination against a person who is perceived to have any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.
The Registrar represents Spirit Rock Retreat Operations by providing exceptional customer service to the retreatant before, during and after retreat registration.
The Registrar is responsible for full cycle retreat registration. Key responsibilities include opening up the retreat for registration, obtaining the customer’s retreat registration details, managing occupancy rates, answering customer inquiries, solving customer registration problems, handling registration fees, and processing refunds and scholarships.
This is a full time, exempt, 37.5 hours per week position reporting to the Registration Manager.
ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS MUST DEMONSTRATE
Strong customer service orientation with a minimum 2+ years of customer service experience.
Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Excellent phone manner.
Strong problem solving skills that demonstrate sensitivity in dealing with a wide variety of people and situations.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Outlook, Word and Excel.
Experience with database programs, preferably Raiser’s Edge.
Excellent attention to detail and data entry accuracy.
Well-organized with the ability to follow through on multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven non-profit environment. Ability to manage competing priorities.
Experience with Spirit Rock’s programs, mission and practices preferred.
Management & Governance
• Responsible for hiring and supervision of 2 residential retreat registrars, which includes evaluating potential candidates, conducting interviews, and checking references, etc.
• Trains, guides and mentors staff through one on one meetings and department meetings.
• Advises Director of Retreat Operations and Management Team, if appropriate, on all registration related issues, as necessary.
• Manages the workflow of the department and handles all Registration aspects of the Multi-Retreat Programs.
• Supervises the day-to-day operation of the registration department and responsible for daily decisions relating to financial, interdepartmental issues, special requests, and software needs that are outside the regular duties of the registrars.
• Oversees and ensures timely and accurate processing of: registration applications (Blackbaud Net: Community (online) and (paper) forms, including sliding scale donations made through registration; Dana donations made at residential retreats, gift certificates, scholarship applications and tracking; refunds and cancellations for residential retreats.
• Fills in for registrars when sick, on vacation, retreat, or personal leave and handles overflow work for registrars.
• Serves as the registration expert on the day-to-day use of Raiser’s Edge Software.
• Responsible for the timely input of Net Community web pages for online registration.
• Oversees assignment of staff and resources for residential registration.
• Supervises the downloading of web-based registrations and processing of same using Raiser’s Edge software.
• Handles customer service compliments and complaints.
• Creates, implements and maintains effective administrative systems.
• Works with the Development and Accounting departments to ensure that registration is meeting their needs for both information and customer service. Also, works with teachers who teach residential retreats.
• Supervises timely input of all monies into Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge for fees, sliding scale, dana for teachers and staff associated with people attending retreats and reporting to accounting.
• Approves cancellations and refunds for retreats.
• Work with the Database Manager to implement processes and to trouble shoot Raiser’s Edge issues.
• Performs and records department personnel evaluations in a timely manner.
• Oversees processing of scholarships, registration applications, multi-year applications, dana and sliding scale gifts, gift certificates, online registration.
• Acts as registrar for all multi-retreat programs.
• Oversees creating, implementing, and maintaining registration policies and procedures.
• Communicate with retreatants prior to retreat.
• Generate and distribute retreat registration information including posting forms on website.
• Responsible for the timely input of Net Community web pages for online registration.
• Enter and/or monitor residential retreat registrations in Raiser’s Edge.
• Monitor the wait list for retreats that are full to capacity.
• Collect and process payments.
• Generate and distribute retreat confirmation information.
• Manages all aspects of the Work Retreatant process.
• Communicate with retreatants by phone or email regarding initial registration, lotteries, wait lists, cancellations, and special retreat needs.
• Process cancellations for retreats.
• Coordinate scholarship applications for residential retreats.
• Process scholarship requests, assess amount awarded and notify applicant.
• Record scholarship amounts in database.
• Communicate pre and post-retreat information to Spirit Rock departments including Programs, Retreat Managers, Retreat Support, Kitchen, Communications, Housekeeping and Accounting.
• Communicate with Retreat Teachers regarding discretionary slots and pre-requisite exceptions.
• Generate accurate retreat database reports for various departments.
• Train and supervise Registration Department temporary help and volunteers as needed.
• Document retreat registration procedures in user-friendly language.
• Update retreat registration procedure manuals as necessary.
• Ensure that all retreat registration files are accurate and up to date.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor or manager.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with experience and Spirit Rock pay practices, which are aligned with regional not-for-profit organizations. Excellent benefits package includes medical, dental, and chiropractic /acupuncture insurance; flexible spending account; 403b retirement savings plan; paid time off to attend Spirit Rock retreats; attendance at Spirit Rock classes; paid vacation; paid holidays; and paid sick leave.
To apply, send your resume with a cover letter that briefly describes how your experience/qualifications match the required qualifications for the position. EMAIL TO: email@example.com.Please include your salary history. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. No telephone calls please.
Spirit Rock is an equal opportunity employer and places a high value on workforce diversity.
FOR ALL SPIRIT ROCK POSITIONS
Spirit Rock Meditation Center is a spiritual practice center devoted to the teaching of Insight Meditation in the Buddhist tradition. We strive to create a work environment that reflects the Buddha’s teachings with a special emphasis on seeing our work as an essential aspect of our spiritual practice. As such, we seek employees who have a sincere interest in and commitment to the exploration of bringing the practice of mindfulness to bear on all activities of daily life.
The following qualities and abilities are expected of all employees at Spirit Rock:
• Ability to work well with people of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
• The ability to work collaboratively.
• Flexibility and the ability to compromise.
• Honesty and integrity.
• Active listening skills.
• The ability and willingness to express appreciation to others.
• Openness to constructive feedback.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• The ability to lead, follow, take initiative, or take direction and the judgment to know when each is appropriate.
• The ability to delegate both responsibility and authority appropriately.
• Efficient time management skills including the ability to prioritize effectively.
• The ability to differentiate between one’s role in achieving Spirit Rock’s goals as defined by one’s specific job description vs. one’s own personal objectives and spiritual growth.
• Physical: Occasionally required to lift, carry, push or pull objects up to 30 pounds. Frequently required to perform moderately difficult manipulative tasks such as typing, writing, etc. Excellent typing and computer skills are required (word processing and data entry). Must be able to sit, walk or stand for extended periods.
• Sensory: Frequently required to read and write documents, financial reports and plans. Must be able to distinguish normal sounds with some background noise, as in answering the phone, interacting with residents and staff, etc. Must be able to speak clearly and understand and be understood using the English language.
• Cognitive: Frequently required to concentrate in considerable detail with occasional interruption. Must be able to attend to a task/function through to completion. Frequently required to understand and relate to specific ideas, several at a time. Must be able to remember multiple tasks and assignments given to self and others over a period of days and months. Must be able to shift priority and move from one task to another with ease, including the ability to multi-task.
• Equipment: Ability to drive a car. Occasionally required to drive to work functions at other locations or make pick-ups and deliveries. Must maintain a valid driver’s license. Frequently required to use equipment such as copiers, telephone, and fax machines.