This event is a Benefit for the Spirit Rock Diversity Program. We welcome adults of all races, religions, and sexual orientations. This program is not suitable for children.
This daylong is a transformational and soul-invigorating workshop designed to break through our cultural barriers of grief. The interdiction and suppression of emotion in general, and grief in particular, has recently been linked to the general sense of spiritual drought, emotional confusion and certain illnesses we experience in our life. To begin to regain a serious and lasting sense of connectedness with ourselves and with spirit, we need to find a proper place to release our grief: the loss of loved ones, the loss of our dreams and the loss of our connection with our ancestors.
In the traditional world of the Dagara of Burkina Faso West Africa, the ritual of grief, conducted almost daily in different parts of the tribe, is the Dagara people’s way of releasing the tension caused by loss, and of restoring continuity in their relationships. We will enter into the ritual space of grief following the traditional model of the Dagara. It is our hope that it brings a deep sense of release, peace and connectedness in your life.
The teachers request that you bring a few items with you if you can, to support you during the day:
- Drinking water
- A box of tissues
- One or two tall glass-contained candles (blue, red, black, green, yellow or white)
- A rhythmical instrument: rattles, drums, or whatever feels appropriate
- Color cloths and decoration for shrine
- Flowers for shrine
- One or more ritual objects for the shrine,( i.e.: ancestors' pictures, something to give you strength, something to remind you of forgiveness, etc).
- One or more biodegradable item that represents your loss, anger, sadness, fear, grief, etc. which you will not take back home (e.g., a picture, a carved object or other small art object, etc.).
- Optional: vases, twine, sage, big white or blue bowl.
Limited partial Volunteer/Work Exchange opportunities may be available for this program. If interested, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com or (415) 488-0164 x224. Scholarships are not available for this event.
Please Carpool! Visit our Online Bulletin Board for Ride Sharing to find or offer a ride.
Online Registration for this event is available until 12 noon one business day before the event. If you can't attend, see our Cancellation Policy.
Volunteer/Work Exchange opportunities, as well as full or partial Scholarships, may be available for this program. For more information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 488-0164 x224.
Scholarships are not available for events listed as “Benefits.”
Even if you have been to Spirit Rock before, please review Daylong Programs at Spirit Rock for useful information about what to wear, what to bring, how to get here, and more.
Carpooling requested for onsite parking.